All Sofas Looking Like New
A Sofa is a major investment, so you want to keep it looking like new for as long as possible. With the new fabrics and treatments on the market, it’s easier than ever to do so.
Still, there is some maintenance you need to do to ensure that your sofa lasts even longer.
- Every week, you should use your upholstery or drape attachment to vacuum the sofa. This includes underneath the cushions, where abrasives such as crumbs, loose change and dust accumulates. These can mar the fabric.
- The fabric should be professionally cleaned once a year. Depending on the fabric, you may want to have a stain repellent reapplied to the surface.
- Clean all the surfaces at the same time, including both sides of the cushions and the back and sides of the sofa. You want all the fabric to get the same treatment so it wears evenly.
- If something is spilled, blot first. Do not rub. Also, don’t use harsh detergents or soaps until you know the fabric can handle them.
- Keep your sofa away from direct heat and even air conditioning. It can cause the joints to dry out, causing the sofa to squeak and creak.
- Don’t let anyone sit on the arms or let your children jump on the sofa. It will cause a lot of wear very quickly.
- Sunlight is the enemy of color and fabrics. It will cause the color to fade unevenly over time and weaken the fabrics. Even leather can be adversely affected by sunlight and heat, causing it to become brittle and crack.
- Never pull on a loose thread. Tie them off and trim the loose ends with scissors.
- Try to use all parts of the sofa. Even if you have a favorite seat, try to use the others as well. That way the fabrics on the cushions will wear evenly. And be sure to flip the cushions regularly, even weekly, to promote even wear.
- Over time, perspiration and oils from your skin and hair will affect the finish of leather. Be sure to wipe heavy contact areas regularly to remove these oils.
- Don’t leave newspapers on the surface of your sofa. The ink can bleed and stain the fabric permanently.
- Don’t let guests sit on light colored sofas wearing new jeans that haven’t been washed yet. The dyes can bleed and stain the fabric permanently.
With these simple precautions, you can be sure that your sofa and sofa groupings will continue to look like new for years to come.